Crock pot chicken lentil stew recipe. Chicken breasts with vegetables and spices cooked in a slow cooker. Very easy and tasty Ethiopian recipe.
This tasty recipe adapted from https://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/slow-cooker-ethiopian-chicken-lentil-stew/
You may also like Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes
Crock Pot Chicken Lentil Stew Recipe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons Berber spice mix (see rice below)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 2 cups, cubed sweet potatoes
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 19 oz (570 ml) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken stock
- After Cooking:
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- For Berber Spice:
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seed (mustard seeds fit as well)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add diced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, for about 3-5 minutes.
Add the Barber spices, cardamom, paprika, ginger, and garlic. Cook for a further 1 minute.
Remove the onion mixture from the pan and transfer to a slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients. Stir well.
Close the cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 6 hours.
Turn off the pot and open the lid. Stir in the lemon juice, brown sugar, and salt.
To Make Berber Spices
makes 1 cup
In a mixing bowl, combine all spice ingredients. Mix well.