- 5 large apples, peeled, cored, and cubed
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dried currants
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) finely chopped dates
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) seedless raisins
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) apple juice
- 2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 ml) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1 cup (250 ml) low-fat milk
- 1 cup (250 ml) boiled apple juice
Preheat the oven to 350º F (175º C).
Grease a large shallow pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the cubed apples on the bottom of greased pan, then sprinkle the currants, dates, raisins, and walnuts over them. Pour the apple juice over. Mix well.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add softened butter and beat until the mixture is uniformly grainy.
Stir the low-fat milk into th flour mixture, then spoon the batter over the apple mixture. pour the hot apple juice over the dish. Place the baking pan in the preheated oven. Bake for 1¼ hours or until cobbler is done.