Instant pot healthy lentil chickpea soup recipe. Learn how to cook healthy and easy vegetarian soup in an electric instant pot.
There is terrifically satisfying balance here among the lentils, rice, and sweet chickpeas. Serve this yummy soup with warmed or grilled whole wheat pitta.
I used Homemade Vegetable Broth to make this soup.
Instant Pot Healthy Lentil Chickpea Soup Recipe
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 8 cups (2 L) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Heat the olive oil in an 6-quart (6 L) electric instant pot turned to the browning function.
Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, for about 4 minutes.
Stir in the lemon zest, caraway seeds, salt, and black pepper. Continue cooking for a further 30 seconds.
Stir in uncooked rice, spinach, celery, and lentils.
Close the pot and lock the lid. Set the machine to cook at high pressure. Set the timer to cook for 23 minutes.
Using the Quick Release method, bring pressure to normal. Carefully unlock and open the lid.
Stir in lemon juice before serving. Enjoy!