Instant Pot Vietnamese Pho soup recipe. Chicken thighs with vegetables, beans, and spices cooked in an electric instant pot. Very healthy and delicious Vietnamese soup.
You may also like Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup, another yummy meal cooked in the pressure cooker.
Instant Pot Vietnamese Pho Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) canola oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 piece ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 ml) black peppercorns
- 1½ pounds (720 g) boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fish sauce
- 1½ teaspoons (8 ml) brown sugar
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 pound (240 g) rice noodles
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup torn fresh mint leaves
- 1 Thai bird chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Heat the canola oil in a 6-quart (6 L) electric pressure cooker turned to the sauté mode.
Add onion, ginger, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until browned, for about 4-5 minutes.
Stir in cloves, anise, cardamom, coriander, and black peppercorns. Continue cooking and stirring, until fragrant, for a further 1 minute.
Add chicken thighs, chicken stock, fish sauce, brown sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, and 2 cups (500 ml) water.
Close the pot and lock the lid. Set the machine to cook at high pressure. Set the timer to cook for 15 minutes.
Using the Quick Release method, bring pressure to normal. Carefully unlock and open the lid.
Using tongs, remove cooked chicken thighs from the cooker and transfer to a cutting board. Slice or, shred with two forks and set aside.
Strain the broth through a fine-mesh sieve with cheesecloth and discard solids. Skim any remaining fat from the surface and discard. Season the broth with salt and black pepper, to taste.
In a large pot, boil the water over medium-high heat. Add rice noodles and cook, according to package instructions.
Using a colander, drain well.
Divide cooked noodles and chicken into serving bowls. Pour over chicken broth. Garnish with bean sprouts, basil, mint, chili pepper, and lime.