Slow cooker barley vegetable soup recipe. Barley with vegetables and beans cooked in a slow cooker. Very easy and delicious vegetarian soup.
You may also like Baked Mushrooms, another yummy vegetarian recipe made in a slow cooker/crock pot. If you are looking for more slow cooker recipes, please visit our great collection-Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow Cooker Barley Vegetable Soup Recipe
The hearty barley grain adds bulk and staying power to this savory vegetable soup. Optionally, you can add whole kernel corn and mushrooms to this soup.
- 15 oz (450 ml) can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 14½ oz (435 ml) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups (1.25 L) vegetable broth
In a 4-5-quart (4-5 L) slow cooker, combine all ingredients, except vegetable broth.
Pour the broth over all. Cover the pot and cook on low-heat setting for 8-10 hours, or on high-heat setting for 4-5 hours.
Turn off the cooker and open the lid. Stir the soup before serving.
Ladle into soup bowls. Serve hot.