Instant pot vegan Rajma Chawal recipe. Learn how to cook very easy and healthy Indian Rajma Chawal in an electric instant pot. Rajma is very popular North Indian Meal, consisting of cooked red kidney beans in a thick spicy gravy.
Instant Pot Vegan Rajma Chawal Recipe
- 1 cup dried kidney beans, soaked in hot water overnight
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) fresh ginger
- 3 green chilies
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Rajma Masala
- 1 tablespoon Kasoori Methi ( if you don't have it, substitute per 1 tablespoon fresh watercress leaves)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
In a blender, combine onions, tomatoes, garlic, and ginger. Blend until smooth.
Heat the ghee butter in an electric instant pot turned to the sauté mode.
Add cumin seeds, bay leaf and tomato mixture. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes.
Stir in salt, black pepper, rajam masala, red chili powder, turmeric powder. Mix well.
Add soaked beans and water. Stir well.
Close the pot and lock the lid. Set the machine to cook at high pressure. Set the timer to cook for 30 minutes.
Using the Quick Release method, bring pressure to normal. Carefully unlock and open the lid.
Stir well before serving. Serve hot with cooked rice.