Slow cooker African chicken sweet potato stew recipe. Yummy stew with diced chicken, sweet potatoes and peanuts cooked in a slow cooker.
Slow Cooker African Chicken Sweet Potato Stew
You may like as well:
- To make Sauce:
- 1 cup (250 ml) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- To make Stew:
- 1 pound (480 g) diced chicken
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2½ cups (625 ml) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2/3 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- chopped peanuts, for garnish
In a blender, combine all sauce ingredients. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
Add diced chicken and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Add onion and garlic. Continue cooking and stirring for a further 2 minutes.
Remove chicken and vegetables from the pan and transfer to a 6-quart (6 L) slow cooker.
Add reserved sauce to the pot along with remaining ingredients. Stir well to combine.
Cover the cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 5 hours.
Remove cooked stew from the pot and ladle into soup bowls.
Top with chopped peanuts. Serve hot.